Thursday

Varied colour distressed frame



This frame has been in a couple of recent posts,
 it has now been finished. This is what was done; after I painted on some stippled paint I covered the inner section with Liberon liming wax which was then wiped off with a cloth, the sides were brushed with antique pine wax.
The frame was left for a few minutes and then I brushed round the inner part (where I had waxed) with various dry pigments such as yellow ochre, and also mixes of pigments in burgundy/reds, blues, brown/greens, and so on. The painted section was given some distressing with fine abrasive paper, and then the gilding was carefully wiped down with white spirit to remove any excess wax. Finally the whole frame was given a really good polish.

The possibilities and variations in the painted section are endless, this example uses a number of colours which are quite strong, although this variation/effect does not come across that well in my photos.