Friday, 16 November 2012

Lely frame

An English style of frame that is often called a Lely frame or panel frame, named after the artist Sir Peter Lely and the distinct plain panels between the carved details. It originated in the 17th Century, and was inspired by Louis XIII frames. This is a composition version that is probably from the 19th Century. It has been overpainted, but is still a nice looking antique frame.