Friday

Moon tray


This frame is actually a repair job, as the gesso was flaking off all round the edges. When it came in I was concerned it was one I had made, as I have done similar frames for the gallery and artist before, so it could have been one of mine. But upon sanding back the gesso I thankfully saw it was not one I had made; the corners were joined with cross pinned nails and no underpinner wedges were used, and the fillet was also nailed into place; both techniques I have never used before. The next post on this frame will show the distressed and burnished 22ct moon gold. This style of frame is used with canvases or panels, where a gap is left around the edge of the artwork giving a floating or shadow effect. The profile has lots of names: tray frame, float frame, canvas tray, floater frame, float tray, and L frame to name a few combinations.