Tuesday

Simple oak finish

These photos show the various stages in a simple stained oak finish. My method is to cut and join the frame first, I then give it a very good sand to remove any machine cutting marks, round the edges, and make the mitres nice and flush. I then apply a coat of water based stain. Some people stain the lengths first before joining, but I prefer to stain after joining so I can get the corners perfect, especially with oak which can sometimes be a little tricky to join together. I don't find any problems with stain brush marks or overlaps at the corners. The next stage is a coat of shellac sanding sealer, this is given a rub over with 0000 wire wool, then a coat of medium brown wax, lastly the frame is given a good polish.

Step-by-step photos, taken on my phone which is not the best camera.