Friday

National Gallery of Victoria - Frame Resource

I posted this link on my frame facebook page when I came across it a couple of weeks ago, it is such a good website that I thought I would also post it here. The National Gallery of Victoria has an excellent resource section on framemakers, antique frames, and associated paintings. Featuring a list of framemakers with works framed by them. Each work has a good selection of some or all of these images; with and without frame, the makers label, any canvas/panel labels, and a wonderful detailed cross section of the frame along with information about the frame style and construction.


The resource was compiled with the help of references from the extensive archive at the National Portrait Gallery run by Jacob Simon. Hopefully all museum collections will one day pay as much attention to frames, with the National Portrait Gallery, National Gallery of Victoria, and Yale Center for British Art currently leading the way.