Friday

Cherepovets Art Museum

A selection of paintings and frames seen in Cherepovets Art Museum, in Russia. As is common with every museum I have ever visited in Russia, a mixture of fine original frames, hideous modern mass produced frames, and completely unsuitable frames. The stand out painting in this museum for me is by one of the greatest Russian painters; Ivan Shishkin's Edge of a Forest, which is sadly framed in a mass produced modern frame that would be OK for a print of the painting but not the original, for all I know the original frame maybe being restored and this is a temporary surround, but in my experience I doubt it. Still a nicely presented little art gallery.

 Muse by N.L. Tyutryumov 1821-1877

 Young Girl by I.K. Makarov 1822-1897

 Girl Ironing by K.E. Makovsky 1839-1915

 Foreigners' Arrival in Russia by K.A. Veshchilov 1877-1930

 Popovka Landscape with Forest and Rye Field by Y.Y. Clever 1850-1924

 Edge of a Forest by Ivan Shishkin 1832-1898

 Shishkin frame detail...